- Date of birth : April 27 1937
- Location of birth : Bokkapatna, Boluru, Mangaluru, Dakshina Kannada District, Karnataka
- Education : B.Com, LLB
- Employment :Lawyer and Farmer. Working as a Lawyer for the first 18 years I was trying to provide legal assistance to many poor people, especially safeguarding law for people of the weaker sections, including Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and minorities and the protection of the farmers.
- Member of Parliament :
- Has won MP elections for four times in 1977, 1980, 1984 and 1989 from Mangalore Lok Sabha constituency. Earlier, no person had won 4 elections continuously to the Lok Sabha from the Congress in the Mangalore constituency. As a result, the new record was created in the 1991 elections after winning the fourth straight time.
- Member of Rajya Sabha :
- April 1994 to 2000 Elected to the full time State council member from Karnataka State.
- April 10, 2002 to April 9, 2008 Elected as a full-time Rajya Sabha member from Karnataka State.
- Accomplished Political Positions:
- Deputy Minister of Central Finance 15.1.1982 to December 1984.
- Minister of State for Finance December 1984 to December 1987.
- Effective implementation of the Central Government's 20-point programs implemented by then prime ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi during the finance minister. Poor farmers, laborers, small business, strive to provide financial viability for women to start self employment through Loan melas across the country. Loan Mela was the only event that was the most popular in the country.
- Minister of State for Rural Development January 1988 to December 1989.
- First time President of Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee 1987 to 1989. (Was appointed as President during the tenure of Union Minister of State for Finance)
- First time President of Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee 6.2.2003 to 27.7.2005
- Congress working committee member 1990 to 1996
- Member of the Central Election Committee 1991 to 1996.
- Member of Congress Parliamentary Board 1991 to 1996.
- During tenure of General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee 1991 to 1996 , the major responsibilities were
1. Congress Parliamentary Board
2. Congress Working Committee
3. In Charge of six states
4. AICC Session and Organization Elections
5. AICC Planner Session
6. Central Election Committee
- Other responsibilities fulfilled:
- During the 1990 Lok Sabha and Assembly elections Karnataka Congress election campaign committee President
- Kerala Congress election campaign committee President
- All India Congress Committee Kisan and Khet Mazdoor co-chairman.
- In 2008 Assembly elections Co-chairman Karnataka Electoral Governance and Competition Committee
- Member of the following committees as a Lok Sabha member:
- Coffee Board
- Advisory Committee on Civil Aviation and Tourism Ministry
- Papers Lied on the Table Committee
- Member of the Estimate Committee.during my Rajya Sabha tenure (3.4.1994 to 2.4.2000)
- Advisory Committee on Rural Areas and Employment Ministry
- Transport and Tourism Committee
- Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Communications
- Government Guarantee Committee
- Department of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Commerce
- Parliamentary Railway Convention Committee
- The Finance Ministry's Advisory Committee a member of these.
- Member of the following committees as a Rajya Sabha member:
- Parliamentary Standing Committee on Department of Transport, Tourism and Culture
- Agriculture and Rural Industries, Advisory Committee for Small Industries Ministry
- Elected Member of Public Accounting Committee 1.5.2006 to 30.4.2007 and 1.5.2007 to 30.4.2008
- State Government Government Guidelines Committee 4.9.2006 to 9.4.2008
- Dakshina Kannada District Telephone Advisory Committee
I was Appointed by AICC Chairperson Smt. Sonia Gandhi as coordinator of the All India Congress Committee on 25.4.2008. In addition to this, I was made incharge for Kerala, West Bengal, Lakshadweep and the women Congress.In the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, I was appointed by the Sonia Gandhi to head the AICC Screening Committee in Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Nagaland and Tripura.
- Special Operational Management:
- I was Member of the Non-official delegation in United National General Assembly 60th Session held on 2005 in New York.
- I gave 3 Speeches at United National General Assembly & its three sub-committees conference.
- Social Activities:
- Participation in educational and development activities conducted by several social organizations.Special concern on the promotion of communal harmony.
- Travel to Outer countries:
- USSR, Maldives, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, USA, UK
- Reading good books, listening to music.
- Permanent Address:
- Chennamma Kutira, Bantwal Mooda Grama BC Road, Postal Jodu Marg, Bantwal Taluk, Dakshina Kannada District, Karnataka 574219